Wednesday, July 10, 2013

A Sort of Review of The Black Company

Title: The Black Company
Author: Glen Cook
Published: 1992, Tor Fantasy (originally published 1984)
320 pages
Rating: 5/10 lightsabers
Goodreads Summary
Some feel the Lady, newly risen from centuries in thrall, stands between humankind and evil. Some feel she is evil itself. The hard-bitten men of the Black Company take their pay and do what they must, burying their doubts with their dead. Until the prophesy: The White Rose has been reborn, somewhere, to embody good once more. There must be a way for the Black Company to find her... So begins one of the greatest fantasy epics of our age...



Well, there isn't really much to say about this one. I never really got into the book. It was a pretty big sausage fest. If I'm remembering correctly, the first female character to be introduced is a ten year old girl getting raped. Correct me if I'm wrong. Most of the time we're running around from place to place with The Black Company doing their work for the Lady. The story has its blips of excitement, but is ultimately a flat line. I did eventually start to enjoy the interaction between the members of The Black Company. However, that was pretty much all I enjoyed from this book. Like I said, I just never really got into the story. Ultimately, this book was just meh. I'll probably continue the series later on because I have the rest of the books. I've been told by a few people that it gets better. I'm going to keep this review short and sweet because simply...




Book update: I started reading Horns by Joe Hill last night and it is AWESOME so far.

No comments:

Post a Comment