Monday, July 8, 2013

Saga Vol. 2 Review

Title: Saga, Volume 2
Collects issues #7-12
Writer: Brian K. Vaughan
Artist: Fiona Staples
Published July 2, 2013 by Image Comics
Rating: 10/10 lightsabers


I have mentioned my love for Saga before and I will say it again. I LOVE this series. It has everything I want from a comic series: love, sex, humor, space ships, and aliens. Add great art and story line and I'm head over heals.

Volume 1 recap: Marko is from the moon Wreath that orbit's Alana's planet Landfall. Landfall and Wreath have been at war with each other for a long time. Alana meets Marko, a prisoner of war, on planet Cleave where Alana is assigned to guard him. They fall in love, have a baby named Hazel, and flee to find a safe place. There are two assassin's trying to hunt them down: The mercenary The Will and Prince Robot IV.


Alana, Marko, Hazel, and their ghost baby sitter Izabel have safely escaped Cleave. Unfortunately, Marko's parents show up. They aren't very happy with Marko marrying and having a child with a woman from Landfall. It's a pretty big no-no. Marko's mom banishes Izabel to a nearby planet but Marko and her have to go and bring her back. There is a giant scrotum involved. A bit strange, but no stranger than robots with tv heads having sex.


Anyways, this main story line is about Marko interacting with his mom(Klara) and defending his love for Alana while Alana bonds with Marko's Dad(Barr). You learn more about Marko's upbringing on Wreath and the conflict between his moon and Landfall. We also learn more about Alana and Marko's relationship in the early days. The plot thickens when Marko's ex-fiancee Gwendolyn surprises The Will. Let's just say she isn't too happy about Marko dumping her. She is FIERCE though.
I wont reveal any more because that would just ruin it for you. Just know that this book is great. Fiona's art brings the story to life. There are so many frames in this series that I would love to have framed. I'm really starting to become attached to these characters. I want Marko and Alana to have a happy ending, but I doubt that will happen. All I know is that I'm in it for the long haul.
Alright, I'm done gushing! Promise!


No comments:

Post a Comment