Friday, August 9, 2013

Horror on Television

Okay, so today I want to talk about horror on TV. As a fan of horror movies and shows, I have noticed that horror is making a big comeback on television. I tried thinking of all the horror tv shows on right now: Hannibal, American Horror Story, The Walking Dead, The Following, Dexter, Hemlock Grove, Bates Motel, True Blood, Supernatural, and not to mention all of the reality shows dedicated to the paranormal. There are a few more set to come out like The Strain and Sleepy Hollow. Recently, there have been rumors about an Exorcist tv show and a Rachel Rising show. I would love if Rachel Rising, which is one of my favorite comic books, would be made into a tv show. I'm not sure how I feel about The Exorcist as a tv show. It is my favorite horror movie. I was actually Regan a few years ago for Halloween. My friends refused to look at me for a long time. It was my first attempt at this kind of make up so it's kind of bad, but imagine seeing me from far away and at night.

Anyways, I would say the best horror shows right now are Hannibal and American Horror Story (sorry Walking Dead). To me they are the most creative with horrific images and have the best storylines. Although, the second season of American Horror Story wasn't as good as the first season. My favorite kind of scary story involves a little bit of strange and I think AHS does that really well. By the end of the episode you're like "What the hell is going on?!" I haven't had that reaction to a show since Lost. I'm really looking forward to AHS: Coven. I don't think Evan Peters will be back for the third season though. *sad face*

If you haven't seen Hannibal yet then you should do so immediately.  It is incredibly creepy and fucked up. Mads Mikkelsen is fantastic as Hannibal and Hugh Dancy is great as Will Graham. Will descends into madness with the help of psychiatrist/friend Hannibal. Let's just say they both have their issues. In the season finale, Hannibal visits Will in jail and you see them both through the bars and Hannibal smiles.  Ahhh, it was so good. Best finale ever. Bravo, writers, bravo.


I have heard some complaints that it's a little slow, but I think they're pussies. The way people are killed is completely insane. It is so weird, but the way it is shown is grotesquely beautiful. I'm not sure how to explain it. It's disgusting, but you can't take your eyes off of it. Maybe I'm just messed up in the head.







What do you think of horror tv shows? Is this a trend you're excited about or just meh?

2 comments:

  1. My boyfriend really wanted to watch AHS, and somehow always managed to convince me that watching it in bed at night, as we prepared for sleep, was a good idea.

    You may have noticed that all of those sentences are in the past tense. You know that insane plot twist with Violet? I was so disturbed by that. So, so, shaken. Which I guess is good! It means they were doing something *right* if it felt so utterly *wrong.* But I haven't been able to convince myself to go back since the episode where the twist is revealed. Ooph. My heart, my brain, my spirit...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, the show is insanely creepy. I don't get scared of anything and that show creeped me out! Poor Violet. You should finish the season! It is totally worth it. The second season isn't as good. They added aliens and I thought that was a poor choice.

    I think AHS had this contest going where you could have one of the monsters show up to meet you. I was like no way. Can you imagine the guy in the sex suit showing up at your door step?

    ReplyDelete