Friday, October 17, 2014

Magician: Master Review

Title: Magician: Master
Author: Raymond Feist
Series: Riftwar Saga

 




Holy cow, you guys.  I can't believe what Feist has done with this series.  I absolutely LOVED the first book and I was worried I wouldn't feel the same magic from the second book.  However, I was wrong.  Feist does an amazing job creating two completely different worlds feel so real and complex.  There is one scene that stands out to me the most is when Pug (who goes by another name) travels up a tall tower and has visions of the past.  I don't want to go into too much detail to avoid spoiling it, but Feist really painted a cosmic picture in my head and it is something I won't forget.




In the first book, Pug and Tomas are just boys who are charming and a fun group to follow.  However, in this book they are no longer boys.  We see these characters grow into powerful men.  Honestly, I was very sad when this happened.  They are both SO different from the first book.  But that should be expected because of the emotional and physical turmoil they have to face.  I mean, Pug becomes a slave for five years in a foreign land.  If anything makes you lose your innocence it is probably that!  Another part of this book that I really love is the political differences of Midkemia and Kelewan. Both see one another as barbaric.  Add in the complex political structure of the Tsurani and you've got one hell of a stand off.  It is fun to see each side's point of view.  Basically, this book is great.




In summation, if you like epic fantasy with great characters, fun battles, and two very different worlds to explore then this is the series for you.  It has been a LONG time since I've found a series that I can just DIVE in to and really get invested in the story.  I will take a break from this series so I don't get burnt out, but I definitely have plans to finish this series.

Rating: 4/5


No comments:

Post a Comment