Friday, July 24, 2015

Review: Mockingjay (The Hunger Games #3) by Suzanne Collins

RATING: 4/5 Mockingjays

Well, it's over you guys. I have finished this bestselling series. So, what do I think? Complete crap? Genius? More like somewhere in between. Mockingjay started off slow. After the heart pounding action of Catching Fire I was ready to see this rebellion take off. It didn't. Katniss spent most of her time sulking and worrying about Peeta.  It's not that there wasn't enough action in the beginning. It just felt like the plot was moving too slowly. Everything felt a litte more dull and I'm sure it's because Katniss's emotions were so bipolar. She was erratic at times, but mostly numb. I understand she's been through a lot, but this much back and forth between emotions was a little draining on me as a reader. It also made the storyline feel a little unfocused as well.

I almost thought this book was going to be a dud. I was starting to lose interest fast. Then they went to the Capitol. That's when I really started to get into it. I thought the last part of the book was great...filled with action and emotion. It saved the book in my opinion. I enjoyed the new setting in the Capitol as well as the new traps. I wasn't sure who was going to make it out alive and appreciated that some of them didn't. One of the main ideas about Mockingjay that I loved is the idea that no matter what side of the way you're on there's always going to be someone thirsty for power. President Coin is an extremist. She does whatever she thinks is necessary to keep herself in power. As the story unfolds, you really see how little she cares for Katniss...and how manipulative people in power can be.  I know some readers disliked the ending, but I thought it was appropriate. It's the best future you could hope for for 
. On a side note, I realized that never once was gender an issue in this book. Nobody complained about Katniss being a soldier because she was a woman or Prim training to be a doctor. It was refreshing.

I enjoyed this series overall. It's the first teen series that I've actually finished since becoming an adult. I give this book and 4/5 stars as well as the entire series. It's definitely something I wouldn't mind my children reading.

The trailer for Mockingjay Part 2 just came out. Looks MUCH better than the first part. Check it out if you haven't seen it yet!


No comments:

Post a Comment