Thursday, June 27, 2013

Book Spotlight: The Descent

Today I am going to share with you one of my favorite novels. This isn't a review since I haven't read the book in a while. I just wanted to share one of my favorites. It is the horror novel called The Descent by Jeff Long. I was given this book to read about three years ago and I devoured it. I just found out the a sequel was released in 2007 called Deeper: A Thriller! Another book I will be adding to my ever increasing TBR list.


Goodreads Summary
We are not alone…In a cave in the Himalayas, a guide discovers a self-mutilated body with the warning--Satan exists. In the Kalahari Desert, a nun unearths evidence of a proto-human species and a deity called Older-than-Old. In Bosnia, something has been feeding upon the dead in a mass grave. So begins mankind’s most shocking realization: that the underworld is a vast geological labyrinth populated by another race of beings. Some call them devils or demons. But they are real. They are down there. And they are waiting for us to find them…

Basically, there is a labyrinth beneath the earth that goes all the way to the center. There is a civilization of humanoid creatures called the hadals who live there. They are a brutal race. A group is led through the labyrinth by Ike who is a former slave of the hadals. Each person in the group has a different agenda for going through the labyrinth. The most interesting agenda in my opinion is Ali's. She is a nun and was sent to find out if Satan actually exists. This book is great and if you have time I would definitely suggest picking it up.

And no, the horror movie The Descent is not based on this movie. They both have caves and humanoid creatures, but that's about it. 

I might go ahead and reread this book and do a review on it. I'll think about it.

Have any of you read this book? What did you think?


Best,
Brittany

No comments:

Post a Comment