Thursday, August 22, 2013

The Sound of Her Wings

Okay, since I am going to DragonCon as Death I figured I should dedicate a few posts to her. I bought Death: The Deluxe Edition a while ago. It collects all of her solo adventures. I'm going to write about the first story in the book from Sandman #8: The Sound of Her Wings. Anyways, Death is the sister of Dream and as is an anthropomorphic personification of death. She is one of the Endless which also include Dream, Desire, Delirium, Destruction, and Destiny. That's all you really need to know.

So, Morpheus is acting all emo because he has nothing to do. He finished collecting all his items and regained his strength. Death comes by and tells him he is "the stupidest, most self-centered, appalingest excuse for an anthropomorphic personification on this or any other plane!"...damn. You tell him, girlfriend! Death has to go to work and Dream comes along for the ride. Throughout the issue, we see Death visit multiple people who are about to die or are already dead. We see her visit an old man, a girl who overdoses, and even a little baby. The baby dying was definitely the saddest. It just shows that Death is impartial. She comes for everyone and at any time. Dream also tells Death that the people who captured him were actually trying to capture her. That would be bad news. Anyways, Dream feels inspired and refreshed by his sister's visit. He's off to restore his dream land.

So why do I love Death? There are a lot of reasons. I think she is a great character. When I first started reading comics I was having trouble finding a character that I could see part of myself. Death was the first character I really liked. I think she's funny, smart, badass, and she's totally cute. If I had been in high school during the goth phase I would've totally looked like Death. Instead, I took the emo route. (I know, I know!). Even though I love Dream, I would choose to read a Death comic over him any day. She's just too cool for school, man.


Isn't this statue amazing. 


On a different note, I adopted a kitty cat today. I haven't decided on her name yet. She's totally cute. She's a little on the chunky side!

Alrighty, I'm off to play Final Fantasy 7!


No comments:

Post a Comment