Thursday, January 23, 2014

Fables: Legends in Exile Review

 
 
Fables: Legends in Exile
Writer: Bill Willingham
Illustrators: Steve Leialoha, Craig Hamilton, James Jean
Lan Medina
Rating: 4/5 lightsabers
 
Goodreads Summary
When a savage creature known only as the Adversary conquered the fabled lands of legends and fairy tales, all of the infamous inhabitants of folklore were forced into exile. Disguised among the normal citizens of modern-day New York, these magical characters have created their own peaceful and secret society within an exclusive luxury apartment building called Fabletown. But when Snow White's party-girl sister, Rose Red, is apparently murdered, it is up to Fabletown's sheriff, a reformed and pardoned Big Bad Wolf (Bigby Wolf), to determine if the killer is Bluebeard, Rose's ex-lover and notorious wife killer, or Jack, her current live-in boyfriend and former beanstalk-climber.
 
 
 
Vertigo Comics has produced some amazing comics with Fables being one of its main titles for a long time now. It was announced in 2013 that Fables would be ending with issues #150 in 2015. I love fairy tales. I think they're creepy and dark. When I heard that Fables was for a mature audience I knew I had to check it out.
 
Fables: Legends in Exile collects issues #1-5. I enjoyed the story a lot. It was funny and it had so many nods to the classic fables. It seems like NO ONE in Fabletown will ever have a happy ever after. Everyone seems pretty miserable and I think that is a good tone for this series because the original stories were so dark. I will say that the plot was not original at all. As soon as Bigsby and Snow White arrive at the crime scene I figured out the ending. Hopefully the other storylines have better twist endings.
 
Even though the plot wasn't that surprising, I really fell in love with the characters and the world itself. My favorite character was Snow White. She basically runs the place and doesn't take any BS from anyone. I also liked what I saw of Cinderella. I know she has her own spin off series so I'll probably check that out as well.
 
If you enjoy modern takes on classic fairy tales with a mature twist then this is definitely the series for you! I would've given it a 5/5 lightsabers if the plot wasn't so predictable. Enjoy and let me know your thoughts.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment