Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Top Ten Tuesday

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by The Broke and Bookish. This week's list is about what I would like to see more of in books...basically a reading wishlist.
 
1. Worlds within worlds. I don't care if I have to go through a wardrobe, fall down a rabbit hole, or run through Platform 9 3/4 to get to my magical land. I eat that stuff up. There's something so magical about a place so different than your own reality tucked behind a hidden door somewhere.
2. Fun time travel series. I'm such a big fan of Doctor Who that I would love to see another time travelling series take on a lighter tone like the show. Don't get me wrong, I love hard scifi. Sometimes, I'm just not in the mood for a realistic take on time travel or alien invasions. Sometimes I just want a goofy story filled with heart and memorable characters.
3. Unique mystical/mythical creatures. I'm reading Brandon Sanderson's Mistborn series right now and there is this gross/weird creature called a Mistwraith. It's a scavenger and absorbs the carcasses it devours. It has the head of a deer, human, whatever else it has eaten and numerous disgusting legs. It is so creepy and I love it. Gimme more of that!
4. Queer characters. I love my LGBT friends and enjoy seeing them represented in the novels I read!
5. A modern Nancy Drew character. I know there are probably a lot of series out there with cool, young detective female characters. I just don't know of any. I'm thinking of Veronica Mars with a lot more badassness. If anyone knows of a series like this then please tell me!
6. How about a fantasy hero who hasn't had their parents murdered or was a farm boy part of a prophecy? Can we do that?
7. Covens! Ever since AHS: Coven I have become obsessed with covens! Oh the fabulousness, I just can't even handle it.
 8. Since I work for a family practice now, I would love to read a book about how awful working in a doctor's office is...FYI it's that awful. People are ridiculous and rude. I doubt there is a book out there like this, but if there is one then it was made for me.
9. A fantasy novel that isn't 1000 pages long. Please, I know all you fantasy authors love your world building, but sometimes I just want to get to the dragon slayin'. You know what I mean?!
10. Forget the instant love bull. I've never understood it and it totally makes me reject the love story from the beginning.

2 comments:

  1. Great list, I always tend to love worlds within worlds stories as well and while I haven't really thought of them as one category before I would love to read more of them. I would love to have more time traveling stories like Doctor Who because I love that show because it's such fun expect when it's making me cry although it's still a great show then. I really love the idea of Covens and really anything involving witches I always had but AHS: Coven surely made that love stronger for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I believe the term for the fantasy genre where a fantastical world exists within a realistic one is low fantasy. And yay! Another Coven fan! Thanks for stopping by :]

    ReplyDelete