Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Pretty Deadly Vol 1: The Shrike Review



Title: Pretty Deadly Volume 1: The Shrike
Writer: Kelly Sue DeConnick
Illustrator: Emma Rios
Publisher: Image Comics


Collects PRETTY DEADLY #1-5! KELLY SUE DeCONNICK (Avengers Assemble, Captain Marvel) and EMMA RÍOS (Dr. Strange, Osborn) present the collected opening arc of their surprise-hit series that marries the magical realism of Sandman with the western brutality of Preacher. Death's daughter rides the wind on a horse made of smoke and her face bears the skull marks of her father. Her origin story is a tale of retribution as beautifully lush as it is unflinchingly savage.


I have so many emotions about this book.  It is so different than any other comic I have ever read.  This is the type of comic book that could be read in a college writing course.  It is pretty hard to describe this book.  It's part western, part fable, part myth.  The art by Emma Rios is amazing and I love that there is so much to look at on each page.  I've read this book about three times since I first bought it.  Each time I read it I feel like I understand the story more.  I don't want to be all up this book's ass, but I can't help it.  Kelly Sue Deconnick has outdone herself with this one and I can't wait to see where it goes.  Ginny is my absolutely favorite character.  I love the look of her and her story.  I can't wait to cosplay as her.  Just see the images below.  What a badass. 


The only thing I have to say about this book, and it's not a negative, is that this story felt like a complete story.  If this book ended with the first volume I would be fine with that because the ending felt complete.  However, I'm happy that the series is going to keep going and I look forward to seeing what other stories this team will come up with.  If you haven't added Pretty Deadly to your pull list yet then head to your local comic book store, buy the first volume, and then add it to your pull list.  You won't want to miss it.


And where can I buy some original artwork for this story? I will happily throw money at Emma Rios for a chance to get some of this amazing art.


Rating 10/10

No comments:

Post a Comment