Tuesday, August 4, 2015

Review: Crown of Midnight (Throne of Glass #2) by Sarah J. Maas



Crown of Midnight (Throne of Glass #2) by Sarah J. Maas

RATING: 4/5 SWORDS
 

"A line that should never be crossed is about to be breached.

It puts this entire castle in jeopardy—and the life of your friend."

From the throne of glass rules a king with a fist of iron and a soul as black as pitch. Assassin Celaena Sardothien won a brutal contest to become his Champion. Yet Celaena is far from loyal to the crown. She hides her secret vigilantly; she knows that the man she serves is bent on evil. 
Keeping up the deadly charade becomes increasingly difficult when Celaena realizes she is not the only one seeking justice. As she tries to untangle the mysteries buried deep within the glass castle, her closest relationships suffer. It seems no one is above questioning her allegiances—not the Crown Prince Dorian; not Chaol, the Captain of the Guard; not even her best friend, Nehemia, a foreign princess with a rebel heart. 
Then one terrible night, the secrets they have all been keeping lead to an unspeakable tragedy. As Celaena's world shatters, she will be forced to give up the very thing most precious to her and decide once and for all where her true loyalties lie... and whom she is ultimately willing to fight for.


\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\

I'll be honest, for the first half of the book I wasn't super invested.  It focuses on Chaol and Celaena's relationship. I just floated along with the story not worrying too much about where it was going. However, I did enjoy seeing more of the city with Celaena. I complained about the first book being so secluded to the castle. It was nice to get out of the glass castle while she was on her assassination missions. But this was only mildly intriguing. However, once I passed the halfway mark in the book everything changed. It's as if Maas lit a fire under her ass. It was fast paced, interesting, fun, and full of adventure. I love the combination of magic, mythical creatures, mad kings, and hidden riddles. That was my favorite part of the entire book - the sense of adventure. 

After finishing the book, I am confident to  say Crown of Midnight is a great successor to Throne of Glass. Yes, the first half drags a little because it focuses on Chaol and Celaena's romance, but the second half makes up for it with great adventure and an epic ending. Also, Some of the questions I had from the first book were answered. You find out more about Celaena's mysterious past and where her family comes from. Additionally, the second half of the book was also pretty emotional. The first half was so focused on the love between Chaol and Celaena that when dies that trust is shattered and, even though I don't care much about the romance, it did hurt a little because the author spent so much of the book building their relationship. It tugged at my stone cold heart just a little. I loved the ending of this book so much. It was vivid and I reread it about two/three times (you know which scene I'm talking about if you've read the book). The only real negative I have about this book is that it's fairly predictable. Nothing happened that shocked me. Things happened when I assumed the would. Even so, I still enjoyed this book a lot and I am already on to the third book. Let me know if you've read the book in the comments section! 
 photo 46792513-6b05-41f6-849a-3f06ce5cf24e_zpsa9bc3d44.jpg

2 comments:

  1. I was SO Team Chaol, so of course I loved this one. It was so romantic and cute !! The second half was so epic. It was predictable but still so emotional and intense! I'm glad you enjoyed it, lovely review :)

    Rachel @ A Perfection Called Books

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for commenting Rachel! I recently found your blog and it's quickly become one of my favorites.

      I'm pretty excited about the new book coming out. I know a lot of people are going to be reviewing it. Kinda sucks they're not sending out any ARCS for it!

      Britt

      Delete