Thursday, August 13, 2015

Review: A Storm of Swords (A Song of Ice and Fire #3) by George R.R. Martin



A Storm of Swords  (A Song of Ice and Fire #3) by George R.R. Martin
RATING: 5/5 Swords

Well, if you weren't a fan of this series before this book (which you're insane if you weren't) then this is the book that will make you a believer. This book is just...so sad and tragic. Every single person in this story has something tragic happen to them and you know it's not going to stop any time soon. There are a LOT of deaths in this book. Martin just keeps them coming like a bully's punch on the playground. I'm not even worried about spoiling this series because if you don't know who dies in this book because you don't watch the television show then that ain't my fault. 

First to go is Ygritte...that one stung a little. 



















 Then it's Rob's turn to die. That one really hurt. 

 THEN it's Catelyn. NOOO! GOD DAMN IT, GEORGE.














You have to take a breather for a while after so many favorite characters die back to back. It's a lot to take in if you're an emotional reader like I am. I'm getting emotional just writing about it. All I want is for the Starks to be reunited and live happily ever after. But that's OBVIOUSLY not going to happen. 

Enough about everyone dying. There's more to this book than that. The POVs in this book are Arya Stark, Sansa Stark, Jon Snow, Jamie Lannister, Davos Seaworth. Daenerys Targaryan, Catelyn Stark, Bran Stark, and Tyrion Lannister. I honestly don't really care for Davos, Jon, or Sam's POV. I find them pretty boring. I understand that they're important to the story but I couldn't help but groan when I saw their names pop up at the beginning of a chapter. 

Reasons to love Arya: Girl has been through some shit but she's learning to take care of herself. I love her interaction with The Hound. He has a strange appreciation for the Stark girls that I don't quite understand but it's endearing. 

Reasons to love Sansa: She doesn't believe in fairytales or noble songs anymore. I think Sansa is the character who has grown the most in the series so far. She used to be such an annoying, naive little girl. But after everything that has happened to her she's not. She does what she has to do to survive, but she also spits out little pieces of rebellion here and there. I know a lot of people find her boring, but I think she's fascinating. I also think she'll outlive all the other Stark children.

Reasons to love Jamie: Well, he's definitely hard to love. He's arrogant, rude, and he's screwing his sister. But through his POV you really do start to like him. It's actually kind of annoying. And he has this weird sense of loyalty. He saves Brienne of Tarth from a pit with a bear. Don't do things like that Jamie! I'm supposed to hate you.

And I don't think I really need to list the reasons to love Tyrion. He's just amazing and everything that happens to him is heartbreaking in its own right. Ugh, you guys. There's just so much that happens in this book. SO MUCH STUFF. Danerys builds her army and becomes a badass...kicks out Mormont..Theon becomes a complete dick. It's just one thing after the other. How do people review these books? SO much happens that writing a review is impossible. I just can't. 



So yeah, this is probably my worst review ever...but oh well. Just read the damn book, you fool of a Took. 


 photo 46792513-6b05-41f6-849a-3f06ce5cf24e_zpsa9bc3d44.jpg


No comments:

Post a Comment