Tuesday, November 12, 2013

I'm back! Let's talk about Patrick Rothfuss's The Wise Man's Fear

Okay, guys. I took a way too long hiatus from reviewing books. It's been about three months since my last post and I've decided to give this little blog another chance. I doubt anyone really remembers my blog, but oh well. I'm going to try and have a good time.

So, for my first post back I shall write about Patrick Rothfuss's The Wise Man's Fear.

Goodreads Summary

My name is Kvothe.

I have stolen princesses back from sleeping barrow kings. I burned down the town of Trebon. I have spent the night with Felurian and left with both my sanity and my life. I was expelled from the University at a younger age than most people are allowed in. I tread paths by moonlight that others fear to speak of during day. I have talked to Gods, loved women, and written songs that make the minstrels weep.

You may have heard of me.

So begins the tale of a hero told from his own point of view--a story unequaled in fantasy literature. Now in THE WISE MAN'S FEAR, Day Two of the Kingkiller Chronicle, an escalating rivalry with a powerful member of the nobility forces Kvothe to leave the University and seek his fortune abroad. Adrift, penniless, and alone, he travels to Vintas, where he quickly becomes entangled in the politics of courtly society. While attempting to curry favor with a powerful noble, Kvothe uncovers an assassination attempt, comes into conflict with a rival arcanist, and leads a group of mercenaries into the wild, in an attempt to solve the mystery of who (or what) is waylaying travelers on the King's Road.

All the while, Kvothe searches for answers, attempting to uncover the truth about the mysterious Amyr, the Chandrian, and the death of his parents. Along the way, Kvothe is put on trial by the legendary Adem mercenaries, is forced to reclaim the honor of the Edema Ruh, and travels into the FAe realm. There he meets Felurian, the faerie woman no man can resist, and who no man has ever survived...until Kvothe.

In THE WISE MAN'SFEAR, Kvothe takes his first steps on the path of the hero and learns how difficult life can be when a man becomes a legend in his own time.

Okay, so we are on day two of Kvothe's story and it is even more epic as day one! For the first half of the book Kvothe has to solve some of the same problems he has in the first book: finding information about the Chandrian, trying to make money for tuition, and attempting to NOT get killed by Ambrose. And you thought your teenage years were hard. I'll take my emo phase over an assassination attempt! Eventually, Kvothe leaves the University and heads to Vintas and has various adventures after that. At first I found it a little off-putting when he left school but it turned out to be great! I loved seeing the world outside of The University and meeting new characters. The Four Corners of Civilization(the world in this series) begins to feel big and exciting. There is a lot more drama with Denna and you actually learn a little bit more about her. She's still quite the mystery though. Oh, AND you get to see Devi get mad which is something I really wanted to see. Let's just say you don't want to mess with her.

I enjoyed this book immensely. I was so engrossed in every word of it which is weird because I definitely didn't feel the same way about the first book. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed The Name of the Wind, but I thought it was a little slow paced.. In retrospect, I had just read about three Dresden Files books in a row and those are action packed from start to finish. Maybe going from Dresden to a super long and detailed fantasy book wasn't the best choice. Maybe I'm just weird. This time around I was ready for a great epic fantasy story. I'm so glad I decided to continue this series. This book has everything I wanted: fun, adventure, intrigue, weird faerie sex, back stabbing arcanists, and so much more. If you haven't started this series yet, then I suggest you get on it. Yes, I know the books are long, but SUCK IT UP and have a fantastic adventure.

My Rating: 9/10 lightsabers

1 comment:

  1. I love this series so much!!! any news yet on when the next one is going to come out? I read Wise Man's Fear right when it came out, pretty much read non-stop, like 4 hours a day, for like a week, to finish it quick and review it. Means I need to reread it one of these days!

    ReplyDelete