Sunday, July 27, 2014

Sci-Fi Sunday

So, I have decided to dedicate Sunday to the wonderful world of science fiction.  Today, I am going to focus on two new comic books from Image comics titled Trees and Bitch Planet.


Ten years after they landed. All over the world. And they did nothing, standing on the surface of the Earth like trees, exerting their silent pressure on the world, as if there were no-one here and nothing under foot. Ten years since we learned that there is intelligent life in the universe, but that they did not recognize us as intelligent or alive. Beginning a new science fiction graphic novel by WARREN ELLIS and JASON HOWARD.
I recently read Trees #1 -3 and I'll say I'm intrigued.  This story could be pretty good. I feel that the first three issues were a little jumpy.  You travel across the globe and weave in and out of different storylines.  Ten years after the aliens have landed and humanity has adapted differently to the "Trees" in various parts of the world.  Some are barricaded in a new city, others are running from the pacification police.  I am interested to see where this book is going. It seems to focus on the humans a lot and not so much about the aliens.  They're just in the background at least for now.  I love the way the trees look.  They stand out in the landscape and I really want to see who is inside.  So, if you enjoy comics and are looking for a new science fiction book to and to your pull list, make sure to add Trees. 

Now, let me move on to a title I am suuppperrr excited about: Bitch Planet by Kelly Sue DeConnick (Pretty Deadly, Captain Marvel) and Valentine De Landro (X-Factor).  Image Comics wrote in an article on their website that DeConnick and De Landro "are bringing the Women in Prison trope to outer space in BITCH PLANET.  Sure to be a campy, kick-ass adventure, BITCH PLANET is the story of five leading ladies ready to bust out of their prison cells".  (check out the whole article here). Um, YES PLEASE! This is what I love about comics.  You can tell so many stories and sometimes you get really weird stuff like Bitch Planet.  Sometimes I think the comic book gods do hear my prayers.  I haven't heard any more news on this title, but I'll keep everyone updated.  It is supposed to come out in 2014 so hopefully we will start seeing some cover art soon and a few previews.


No comments:

Post a Comment