Saturday, September 6, 2014

Magician: Apprentice by Raymond Feist Review



Magician: Apprentice (The Riftwar Saga #1)
Author: Raymond Feist

To the forest on the shore of the Kingdom of the Isles, the orphan Pug came to study with the master magician Kulgan. His courage won him a place at court and the heart of a lovely Princess, but he was ill at ease with normal wizardry. Yet his strange magic may save two worlds from dark beings who opened spacetime to renew the age-old battle between Order and Chaos.


I will be honest.  I almost gave up on this book. I was only a chapter or so in, but I was bored and I thought this would just be another boring fantasy story.  However, I am SO glad I didn't stop.  As soon as the aliens and rifts in space and time were introduced I was IN.  I'm not sure what changed, but I was so invested in this story the whole time that I immediately started the second one after I finished Apprentice.  I love Pug as a main character.  He is brave, smart, and feels like a real person.  The surrounding characters aren't as fleshed out, but they are still a good supporting cast.  I love that Pug and his friend Tomas's adventures with the Duke across Midkemia to warn the King about the intruding aliens.  It felt epic.  We meet a dragon, Elves, Dwarves, and I can't forget the invaders the Tsurani. 


I feel like this novel shouldn't really stand out.  It's a fairly typical epic fantasy story, but there is something special about it.  The way Feist writes never feels verbose so the story keeps a good pace.  It is descriptive, but I never felt like it was too much.  The only real negative I have about this book is that the supporting female characters are pretty weak.  I would like to see some interesting ladies and Carline is just not doing it for me. 


Over all, this is a fun classic fantasy story and I was surprised I liked it so much.  I can't wait to continue the series and see what happens!

Rating: 8/10 Dragons 


Have you read this series? If so, let me know in the comments what you thought!

No comments:

Post a Comment