Monday, October 27, 2014

Harry Potter Reread: Harry Potter and The Sorcerer's Stone


 



Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (Harry Potter #1)
Author: J.K. Rowling

Everyone remembers their first love. For me, reading was my first love and Harry Potter was the series to make me fall. I've read the series multiple times, but I haven't read the books since I was in high school. (I'm 24 now). I was afraid the books wouldn't hold up to my fond memories and that my now educated brain might see it as crap. After finishing the first book, I am glad to say that I still love it just the same. There are many reasons why the first book in the Harry Potter series is wonderful. This is a middle grades book. It is young, innocent just like its readers. I was about eight or nine when I first read this book. I remember being so wowed by the wizarding world J. K. Rowling created. Everything seemed so magical. It's also the first time we get to meet our heroes! And of course, you get to fall in love with Albus Dumbledore. There's just so much fun with this book. I do have a few negatives. I wish we would have been introduce to the Potters in the beginning. Just a little snippet into their life before they died. Also, I have always disliked Voldemort being hidden under Professor Quirrell's turban. It just sounded silly to me and not menacing at all. I also thought the trials to get to the sorcerer's stone were cool, but a little too easy. I mean, really? If three novice 11 year old wizards can solve your puzzles and enchantments then you're not trying hard enough. I'm just nitpicking though. I enjoyed that part of the book a lot. Lastly, I think Harry's conversation with Professor Quirrell in the end provides too many answers. It's like "well, I'm running out of ideas so let me just have the bad guy tell you everything!". 
 
 
 
Not the best book in the series by far, but it is still a wonderful introduction to the world of Harry Potter. I love how innocent the first book of the series feels. It is something the series loses after Goblet of Fire (not that that is a bad thing!). So, if you're reading along with me, then let me know what you think! Does the first book still hold up for you? Let me know in the comments!

No comments:

Post a Comment