Friday, January 23, 2015

Review: Silverthorn by Raymond Feist

Silverthron (Riftwar Saga #3) by Ramond Feist
Published in 1986 by Grafton Books
432 Pages
Apprentice will always be my favorite Riftwar book, although I still have one more to read in this saga. However, this book still held my interest and was a fun read. I love these characters and the world Feist created. Just like the previous two books, the story is fairly simple, but I don't mind this because Feist is so great at what he does. I've said this before and I'll say it again, I LOVE the way Feist writes. He doesn't spend four pages about what someone is eating and I really do appreciate that in fantasy author. 

Okay, so on to the story. At first, I was a little disappointed that this book focused on Arutha instead of Pug and Tomas. They show up later in the story and Pug is a crucial part of it (yay!). But I'm glad this story focused on Arutha and his mates. Jimmy the Hand comes back and he is probably my favorite character besides Pug. He is slowly moving in to the #1 spot though. For most of the book, Arutha and his travelers are on a quest to save Princess Anita from dying. They must find the rare Silverthorn plant in order to save her. This leads them across Midkemia confronting new enemies. For about 3/4 of the book I was all in. I love Arutha and I enjoyed following him throughout Midkemia. We got to see new and familiar places and meet new people. Towards the end I was a little fatigued and ready for it to end, but the only major complaint I have is that there is still a lack of great female characters. Anita is just a major plot device and Queen Aglaranna basically just sits on her throne and has a baby. I hope in the next book this will change. I was very happy we got to see a new part of Kelewan and the ending with Pug made me want to jump right into the next book! Ultimately, Silverthorn is a great addition to the Riftwar Saga, but it still doesn't hold up to the first book. That's okay though, because the first book is one of my favorite fantasy novels of all time.

Rating: 3.5/5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment