Wednesday, January 28, 2015

Review: Dark Places by Gillian Flynn

Dark Places by Gillian Flynn
Published May 5th 2009 by Shave Areheart Books 
Pages 359
Genre: Suspense, Thriller
Rating 3/5 Stars

After reading and loving Gone Girl and Sharp Objects, I knew I had to pick up Dark Places. Flynn is great at writing dark characters and making her readers feel uncomfortable. Dark Places is the definition of uncomfortable. The murder plot is complicated and it takes the entire book to reveal the true murderer. As always, I enjoy Flynn's take on rural America. Unfortunately, I felt the pace dragged a lot in this book and I didn't feel as if I was dying to figured out who really murdered Libby's family. I just floated along with the story. I enjoyed the characters in this book. Everyone had a dark side and that is what I truly enjoy about Gillian Flynn's novels. The book revolves between Ben Day, Libby Day, and Patty Day's perspective which is fun, but sometimes it killed me when I was finally getting into the story and then the chapter would end and I'd have to wait two more chapters to continue what I thought was interesting. 

Ultimately, this story has the dark plot, characters, and twists I expect from a Gillian Flynn novel, but it lacks the intensity and intrigue I wanted. The best way to describe my feelings about this book is "meh". I still enjoyed it, but I won't be rereading it any time soon. 



 

No comments:

Post a Comment