Saturday, August 23, 2014

Saturday Haul!

So, I haven't posted in a little while.  I've been trying to find time to finish my Raymond Feist's Magician: Apprentice so I can put up a book review, but shit happens. Instead, I wound up just doing nothing! Anyways, this week was a fairly good haul. Got some great comics and some new books so check them out below!




Filth
Directed by: Jon S. Baird
Starring: James McAvoy, Jamie Bell, Eddie Marsen

A corrupt cop manipulates and hallucinates his way through a bid to secure a promotion and win back his wife and daughter. 

The Magicians by Lev Grossman

Quentin Coldwater is brilliant but miserable. He's a senior in high school, and a certifiable genius, but he's still secretly obsessed with a series of fantasy novels he read as a kid, about the adventures of five children in a magical land called Fillory. Compared to that, anything in his real life just seems gray and colorless.   
Everything changes when Quentin finds himself unexpectedly admitted to a very secret, very exclusive college of magic in upstate New York, where he receives a thorough and rigorous education in the practice of modern sorcery. He also discovers all the other things people learn in college: friendship, love, sex, booze, and boredom. But something is still missing. Magic doesn't bring Quentin the happiness and adventure he though it would. 
Then, after graduation, he and his friends make a stunning discovery: Fillory is real.
A Natural History of Dragons: A Memoir by Lady Trent written by Marie Brennan
All the world, from Scirland to the farthest reaches of Eriga, know Isabella, Lady Trent, to be the world’s preeminent dragon naturalist. She is the remarkable woman who brought the study of dragons out of the misty shadows of myth and misunderstanding into the clear light of modern science. But before she became the illustrious figure we know today, there was a bookish young woman whose passion for learning, natural history, and, yes, dragons defied the stifling conventions of her day. 

Here at last, in her own words, is the true story of a pioneering spirit who risked her reputation, her prospects, and her fragile flesh and bone to satisfy her scientific curiosity; of how she sought true love and happiness despite her lamentable eccentricities; and of her thrilling expedition to the perilous mountains of Vystrana, where she made the first of many historic discoveries that would change the world forever.  

Marie Brennan introduces an enchanting new world in A Natural History of Dragons.

The Wicked + Divine #3, Story by Kieron Gillen and Art by Jamie McKelvie and Matt Wilson. Image Comics.

Laura has no choice. She has to go underground to find the goth-goth-gothity-goth of the Morrigan. Is this the most illadvised underworld-related decision since Orpheus decided to see how Eurydice was doing in the back seat? 


Trees #4 by Warren Ellis and Jason Howard. Image Comics.  

Chenglei is starting to find himself in Shu, the Chinese city built under a Tree: but things are starting to find him, too. There's a storm coming, and the pressure is starting to be felt all over the world. 


Supreme Blue Rose #2 by Warren Ellis and Tula Lotay. Iimage Comics.

Diana Dane is being transported by Darius Dax in the hunt for the mysterious Ethan Crane. It's a car ride that takes her a lot further than she expects: out into the nature of the universe itself. 


Batwoman #34 by Marc Andreyko, Jeremy Huan. Cover by Rafael Albuquerque. DC Comics

This issue changes everything! Batwoman must make a choice that Maggie's not willing to make! And where does Nocturna fit into all of this?


Okay, so pretty productive haul this week. I'm pretty excited about the two books I picked up. I've heard good things about both. I need to pick up the reading pace though...which seems unlikely because I start school next week AND it's also Dragon*Con weekend! BEST WEEKEND EVER! 

This week my pull list was very Image friendly. I love Image. They're probably producing my favorite books at the moment and I am always looking for new books from them. I trust them to create good content (most of the time!). I have two Warren Ellis books too. I enjoy him as a writer and look forward to both of these books continuing! And finally, I'm getting back into Batwoman. It is one of the first series I started reading when I first got into comics. I just kind of left it behind, and not because it wasn't good. It was an okay book with GREAT art. I just never got around to adding it to my pull list. Well, I'm giving her another chance. It's a random issue to start with, but I'll catch. No worries.

I promise I'll put up some reviews!! And for those of you watching the season premiere of Doctor Who tonight, DO NOT spoil anything for me! I'm waiting to see it on Monday in the movie theater! I'll probably be avoiding all social media for a little while until then. *puts fingers in ear* 



No comments:

Post a Comment